Monday, October 26, 2009

That girl's all right with me

You know what's awesome about Rick James' "Super Freak"? The girl's really not a super freak. I'm mean, she's waiting for him with incense, wine, and candles. Not exactly a freaky scene, unless you have very severe allergies.

**
**

I think I've turned a corner in terms of worrying about the baby. Not to say I won't worry at all anymore--why give up something I'm good at, especially when I work in a swine flu soup?--but I think I'm past the dedicated worrying that I had been doing.

Have I told you how convinced I am that the baby is a girl? I'm dead certain. My mom says that my certainty is scientific proof it's a boy. I would be delighted to find out it's a boy--just as delighted as with a girl--but I would also be completely shocked. I'm getting nonstop girl vibes.

Anyway, we'll find out for sure next month. The whole finding out the sex thing is funny--I've talked to several women who said that they wouldn't have been able to get through labor without the surprise of finding out whether the baby is a boy or a girl. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems likely that the baby will still be of interest to me, even if I already have that information. Don't get me wrong; I think it's cool when people wait to find out. But I HATE waiting. Just waiting five more months to have this baby seems like an impossible task sometimes.

5 comments:

bellcurves said...

You know, I have *heard* that if you don't have any morning sickness, you're more likely having a boy. The reasoning is that girl fetuses create more estrogen or something like that in your body, and in turn, this (higher hormone levels) ups the nausea for some women. But I don't know how true that is--I would not know first-hand, and some of my friends defintely disproved that theory when their babies were born. Of course there are SO many myths and old wives tales and all that, so go figure. :-)

harriet M. Welsch said...

For me, the decision to find out the sex was entirely based on the fact that I did NOT want the doctor knowing something that I didn't know. That seemed like a bad precedent to set.

Mohundros said...

It'll be good to know whether you need to decorate the baby's room with Brian Lee O'Malley art or stuff from Hope Larson...

By the way, I haven't commented on it yet but I'm very excited for you guys and wish you a safe and easy pregnancy.

Librarian Girl said...

Super freak! Super freak! She's supah freak-ay, YOW.

That's all I have to say at this time.

librarianista said...

Bellcurves, if that's the case then it's all boy.

Harriet, exactly! I want all of the information my health care providers have, at all times.

Thanks so much, Steve.

And LG? PREACH IT.