Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pity and befuddlement

There are a bunch of teens in the library right now doing a scavenger hunt, and apparently one of the items on their list is to get a librarian to tell them a joke. I only know two jokes. One of them is about Sarah Palin. This is the other one:

Q: Why doesn't Hitler drink tequila?
A: Because it makes him mean.

I also thought of one time when Mr. Awesome was asked to tell a joke in a job interview. I can't remember what he actually said, but when he told our friends the story, his response was, "Don't you think it's weird that we say that we TAKE a shit, when we really LEAVE a shit? I mean WHAT. Is the DEAL. With THAT."

Anyway, for the teenagers I had to resort to the old "Sam and Janet Evening" knock-knock joke. I've never had a group of people look at me with such a mixture of pity and befuddlement as those teens did when I started singing a show tune from South Pacific.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

The only joke I know is the one about the three strings trying to get a drink in a bar that doesn't serve strings. It's not that funny, but it's the only one I know. Sam and Janet Evening sounds like it might be a little better.

Librarian Girl said...

I know a South Pacific joke too, and it's not that one! What are the odds?

librarianista said...

Of course, E, the Frayed Knot!! I should have thought of that one.

LG, perhaps we can take our South Pacific comedy routine on the road sometime.

Anonymous said...

I only know the interrupting cow joke, but it's a very good one. (That's why I remember it.)